Pictures from the Conard Collection

Our Fall 2013 Newsletter featured an article on Cornelius native Jack Conard and his remarkable collection of photos and memorabilia from Cornelius, Davidson and surrounding area. Click here to see the Fall 2013 Newsletter. Here is a sampling of his collection:

Cornelius Cotton Mill (around 1900). Ferry across the Catawba River (around 1900). Alex Little's hardware store across the tracks from Depot. (L to R)Caldwell Fidler, Cliff Westmoreland, Bob Readling, Salesman, Alex Little, and Mason Westmoreland. Towel hanger from old Stough Cornelius Store (1905). The Cornelius Depot. In the front: Agent Forbis and his wife with Mac White (1910). Winifred Readling was chosen as the most attractive girl at the Cornelius High School (1929). Her reward was to have her picture made with the school baseball team. Map of fire district Lemley (before Lake Norman). Sewing room at the Cornelius Cotton Mill (1930's) Baseball team in Smithville (1946). The list of names of the baseball team in Smithville (1946). Fun at the Catawba River one Sunday near Babe Stillwell's store (1936). Dr. W.W. Washam was town doctor for 50+ years. Shown here at Lee Proctor's Esso station, across Main Street from Brick Row (1933). Men at the Smithville Community Center, the former Smithville School (1940's). NC 73 Bridge across the Catawba River when they were clearing land for Lake Norman (1962). The road up the hill around the curve came out on NC 16 at the Triangle. The road to the right was Burton Lane. Once Cornelius's only late night place to eat. Bacon & Eggs closed and was torn down in the 1980's. Robert Puckett at the Cornelius Cotton Mill as they were tearing it down (1998). He helped expand the mill after the war in 1946. Someone let Jack copy an old picture years ago. It had this ad on the back of it. Jack has never met anyone who knew when V. Stinewalt lived or worked Uncle Ralph Hall with his fraternity at Davidson College around 1928.He is in the back row, fourth from right. Caldwell Fidler in his store in Davidson (in the space where Toast is now) ~1915 Jack's Grandfather (Mom's Dad) grew up in Davidson and worked at the cotton mill when he was young. He is the only boy on the back row without a hat. Frank B. Robbins was born in 1890. ~1908 Another picture taken at the cotton mill. Frank is the last person on the right end of the front row Men returning to Davidson after WWI ~Dec, 1918 Picture taken at Jack's first Virgo party, Sept. 1949. (left to right
are) Edna Jane Hall Robbins, Sarah Hall Robbins Conard, Houston Thomas Hall (born Sept. 1, 1866) In front is Jack.
Davidson Historical Society
Post Office Box 144
Davidson, NC 28036
Site By: EyeBenders